Thursday, October 12, 2017

Ma Jones

My grandmother wore black-leather
ankle-high lace-up shoes,
the uppers pricked with tiny holes, these
on a woman who in my memory
never walked, a solid body wedged
in a chair, wearing a cotton print dress
of some pale color, flat fronted,
legs in skin-colored stockings, her flesh
unseen beyond her face & hands.
Three or four unmarried children
also lived in the Charles Street house
on the Charles. My uncle Charlie must have thought
he lived his life in an echo chamber.
Aunt Thelma lived a mile across the river.

Aunt Lily got Ma up & dressed her,
took her to the toilet, bathed & undressed her
& put her to bed, & gave her shots
because Ma was diabetic. Lily called
my uncle Tommy to help with lifting.
I tried but couldn’t imagine these things.
Ma dropped tiny white saccharines
into cups of black coffee. Lily ran
the house no matter who lived there,
& Ma was Lil’s even though Ma was everyone’s —
Ma & Lil were that close. Lil would say,
Ma would like that, or Ma wouldn’t like that.
Tommy & Charlie might look unconvinced
but they didn’t go against her.

Ma wasn’t mean, & she wasn’t friendly,
her mouth a straight line, & if she smiled,
the smile looked phony. She might have liked
children once, but that was before me.
She had great-grandchildren older
than I was. She crocheted dresses for stiff,
small, plastic dolls that weren’t gifts
I appreciated. She would play Chinese checkers
& Parcheesi & beat me every time, easy.
Lily said Ma had false teeth. Her mouth
opened & closed & chewed. She liked to hear
the latest news about everyone in her family,
cousins I’d never seen or couldn’t remember.
Around the time I went to college she died.

No comments:

Post a Comment